Even if weren’t aware of National Women’s Health Week this year, please take a minute to review the information and click on the links below. In order to promote health and wellness, the US Dept of Health & Human Services encourages women to take the following steps to improve their physical and mental health and lower their risks of certain diseases:
• Visit a health care professional to receive regular checkups and preventative screenings
• Get active
• Eat healthy
• Pay attention to mental health, including getting adequate sleep and managing stress
• Avoid unhealthy behaviors such as smoking
For more information and a printable screening tool reminding us what tests/checkups to have done at various ages, click here.
Only you can make yourself and your health a priority, so start today!
Kristine Van Workum, RD, CSSD, LDN
LifeShape Registered Dietitian & Owner of Brevard Nutrition (www.brevardnutrition.com)
TRY THIS DELCIOUS RECIPE!
Shrimp Ceviche “Flatada”
• 2 Foldits 100% Whole Wheat with Flax Flatbreads
• 1 lb. small shrimp
• 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1 large tomato, diced
• ½ red onion, diced
• 1 avocado, chopped into pieces
• 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
• Juice of 1 lime
• Juice of 1 lemon
• Salt & pepper, to taste
• Additional lime wedges, for garnish
• Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut Flatout Foldits in half (leaving 4 individual pieces) and place on a cookie sheet. Bake for 7 minutes or until crisp, then move to plates and allow to cool.
• While Flatouts are baking, heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Sauté shrimp and add garlic, stirring until cooked thoroughly. Remove shrimp from heat and cut into bite-sized pieces. Chop tomato, red onion, avocado and cilantro; combine with shrimp in a large bowl. Juice lime and lemon, removing seeds, and add juice to shrimp mixture. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
• Spoon shrimp mixture onto each circle of Foldit Flatbread. Serve and enjoy!
Serve with fresh lime wedges and optional mango side or mango salsa as a condiment. A grilled white fish or canned salmon/crab can also be substituted in place of shrimp, if preferred.
Shrimp mixture can be prepared ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator. It can be served cold or at room temperature on Foldits.